Correspondence regarding the construction of a golf Course began in 1926, however there must have been an earlier Golf course, as the new one was reported to be “Practically on the same course as those of the former club”. The earlier course was possibly constructed in the 1910’s or early 1920’s.
Golf on Kingston Links Course (known as Garrison Farm during the convict days) first commenced in 1913 when Lottie Stephenson drove a golf ball down the first fairway on what was then called Elliot Links. Captain C.S. Elliot who was born in 1854 was appointed Chief Magistrate 1907. He had served with the royal navy, from which he retired with the rank of Captain, and the Coast Guards, where he ranked as Commander. Captain Elliot was in charge of the Island when the evictions took place on Quality Row and’ as feelings ran high at this time, his popularity suffered accordingly. His successor was Mr M Vincent Murphy J.P. who had long been associated with the Island as Government Surveyor and had been Officer in Charge of Norfolk affairs since 1906.
In 1913 the office of Chief Magistrate was combined with that of the administrator and Mr. Murphy was the first person to serve in both capacities. He was appointed I office by the Governor of New South Wales and continued in office after the Island was accepted into the Commonwealth in 1914.
Norfolk Pine plantation occurred during the early 1950’s in order to “beautify and prevent sand from encroaching on the Pasturage Reserve”, according to the Kingston and Arthur’s Vale Conservation Management plan1988.
From 1913, during the First world War, golf ceased to be played and it wasn’t played again until 1927 when Mr. Alex Carr played a major role to help it’s recommencement. This is when the first official records were recorded. Alex was also associated with a Golf Course laid out in the Longridge area of the Island at the time. Golf also ceased to be played on Norfolk during the Second World War from 1942 to 1945.
The area of the golf Course is also known as the Point Hunter Reserve. So unique are the Island’s customs and laws that the golf Course is classified as a “common area”. This meant that livestock were permitted to roam freely on the course necessitating protective fences around each green so cattle could not enter and destroy those areas. On 17th September 1986 approval was finally obtained from local Government to remove livestock from this “common area”.
Lottie Stephenson on the first fairway circa 1913.
A friendly game at Norfolk in the 1940’s.